Miracle Babies Shuttle
Pick Up From Home
Drop Off At Hospital
When families spend more time in the NICU, the benefits are indisputable. A parents presence, voice, scent, and touch can all impact the baby in an extremely positive way, while also meeting mom and dad’s need to be involved in caring for their infant. Moms who spend time in the NICU are more likely to breastfeed, a practice that has tremendous benefits for NICU babies. Furthermore, the more often that moms and dads can get to the hospital, the more opportunities they will have to engage in Kangaroo Care, a skin-to-skin practice known to reduce stress and improve immunity in NICU babies.
By providing transportation, designed to offset the costs of getting to and from the hospital, Miracle Babies aims to improve the health of NICU babies through promotion of breastfeeding and kangaroo care.
In coordination with the referring hospital, Miracle Babies evaluates each family’s need by considering several factors, including recent c-section, income-to-debt ratio, gestational age of the child at birth, anticipated length of stay in the NICU, as well as the severity of any birth abnormalities.
Miracle Babies currently accepts Transportation applications from hospitals affiliated with our organization in San Diego and Orange County. To be considered for this program please contact your assigned social worker to receive an application.
Eligibility for referral to Miracle Babies Transportation Program:
- The Transportation Program is specific to families who have a newborn(s) in the NICU/CVICU at a partnering hospital.
- Referrals are only accepted by hospital social workers.
- Participant must be independent to get in and out of the shuttle.
- Mom must be 18 years or older.
- Transportation provided in San Diego County only.
- Transportation is only for the parent. Other adult caregiver will be considered space permitting. Siblings will not be transported during pilot program.
- Rider must be able to ride cooperatively with others.
- To schedule transportation, participant must call Miracle Babies office 48 hours in advance. Both pickup and return trip are scheduled in advance.