When families spend more time in the NICU, the benefits are indisputable. A parents presence, voice, scent, and touch can all impact the baby in an extremely positive way, while also meeting mom and dad’s need to be involved in caring for their infant. Moms who spend time in the NICU are more likely to breastfeed, a practice that has tremendous benefits for NICU babies. Furthermore, the more often that moms and dads can get to the hospital, the more opportunities they will have to engage in Kangaroo Care, a skin-to-skin practice known to reduce stress and improve immunity in NICU babies.
By providing transportation, designed to offset the costs of getting to and from the hospital, Miracle Babies aims to improve the health of NICU babies through promotion of breastfeeding and kangaroo care.
Miracle Babies currently accepts Transportation applications from hospitals affiliated with our organization in San Diego, Orange and Los Angeles Counties. To be considered for this program please contact your assigned social worker to receive an application.
Eligibility for referral to Miracle Babies Transportation Program:
- The Transportation Program is specific to families who have a newborn(s) in the NICU/CTICU at a partnering hospital.
- Referrals are only accepted by hospital social workers.
- Participant must be independent to get in and out of the shuttle.
- Transportation is only provided within the county of the hospital
- Transportation is only for the parents. Other adult caregiver will be considered space permitting.
- Rider must be able to ride cooperatively with others.
- To schedule transportation, participant must call Miracle Babies office 24 hours in advance. Both pickup and return trip are scheduled in advance.