The founding purpose of Miracle Babies is to help qualified families meet their basic expenses while they are caring for an infant in the (NICU). In coordination with the referring hospital, Miracle Babies evaluates each families’ need by considering several factors, including, income-to-debt ratio, gestational age of child at time of birth, length of stay in the NICU as well as the severity and nature of birth abnormalities, and distribute grants to families based on their need.
Miracle Babies top funding priority is to providing transportation assistance to families with babies in the NICU; with the goal of allowing families to spend more time in the NICU to provide breastmilk and kangaroo care for their baby.
2016 UPDATED GUIDELINES
Every year, more than half a million babies are born too soon in the United States. Miracle Babies provides assistance only to families who have a baby hospitalized in San Diego County, and through our partnership with Northside Forsyth Hospital and CHOC Orange County. Until further notice, we will no longer accept applications from other counties or states.
Miracle Babies is committed to continuing to provide financial assistance for families with a child in the NICU. Below are our qualification guidelines for referral to Miracle Babies:
- The Miracle Babies Family Assistance Program is specific to families who have a newborn(s) in a Neonatal Intensive Care Unit or other Intensive Care Units such as a Cardiac Intensive Care Unit. Families with a child in other units of a hospital – such at the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit – do not qualify for assistance.
- The newborn must be in a NICU/CVICU or ICU a minimum of 2 weeks prior to being referred to Miracle Babies.
- The family is experiencing financial stress/hardship related to the baby’s NICU stay (not due to previous debts). For example, costs of gas, or transportation to and from hospital, childcare for other children while visiting NICU, temporary relocation to be closer to hospital, etc.
- Parents must be involved and participating in baby’s care, making an effort to visit baby in the NICU.
- The baby must remain in custody of the parents. Referrals will not be accepted if Child Protective Services is involved.
- A family can be referred to Miracle Babies for additional financial assistance if their newborn is admitted 60 or more consecutive days
*** Exceptions to the above will be made on a case-by-case basis. ***
Miracle Babies is committed to continuing to provide financial assistance towards transportation for families with a child in the NICU.
If you or someone you know could benefit from such assistance, please fill out this application:
Miracle Babies Family Assistance Application [PDF]
Miracle Babies Family Assistance Application ESPANOL [PDF]
Northside Hospital in Atlanta
Miracle Babies at Northside Hospital provides support in time of crisis to families with babies in the NICU who live in the Atlanta community. For questions about our Atlanta partnership please email email@example.com or call (404) 845-5146.