The founding purpose of Miracle Babies is to help qualified families meet their basic expenses while they are caring for an infant in the (NICU). In coordination with the referring hospital, Miracle Babies evaluates each families’ need by considering several factors, including, income-to-debt ratio, gestational age of child at time of birth, length of stay in the NICU as well as the severity and nature of birth abnormalities, and distribute grants to families based on their need.
Miracle Babies top funding priority is to providing transportation assistance to families with babies in the NICU; with the goal of allowing families to spend more time in the NICU to provide breastmilk and kangaroo care for their baby.
2015 UPDATED GUIDELINES
Every year, more than half a million babies are born too soon in the United States. Over the last 25 years, preterm birth rates have continued to rise in the United States. With 1 in 8 babies born premature, Miracle Babies receives many more requests for support than we can fund each year. In light of the growing demand, we find it necessary to limit our focus. Miracle Babies will be providing assistance only to families who have a baby hospitalized in San Diego County only, and through our partnership with Northside Forsyth Hospital. Until further notice, we will no longer accept applications from other counties or states.
Miracle Babies is committed to continuing to provide financial assistance for families with a child in the NICU. We are looking into options for creating region-based fundraising platforms to support NICU miracle baby families across the nation. Although Miracle Babies cannot be of assistance financially at this time, we hope to stay in touch. Below are our qualification guidelines for referral to Miracle Babies:
- The Miracle Babies Family Assistance Program is specific to families who have a baby in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit. Families with a child in other units of a hospital – such at the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit – do not qualify for assistance.
- The baby must be in the NICU at least 2 weeks prior to being referred to Miracle Babies. Referrals will not be accepted for hospitalizations that are less than 2 weeks.
- The family must be experiencing extreme financial stress related to the baby’s NICU stay, not due to previous debts. Financial stress related to the baby’s stay in the NICU includes costs of transportation to and from hospital, childcare for other children while visiting NICU, temporary relocation to be closer to hospital, etc.
- The family must be involved in baby’s care, making an effort to visit baby in the NICU.
- The baby must remain in custody of the parents. Referrals will not be accepted if Child Protective Services is involved.
- A family can be referred to Miracle Babies and receive financial assistance ONE time only.
*** Exceptions to the above will be made on a case-by-case basis. ***
Miracle Babies is committed to continuing to provide financial assistance towards transportation for families with a child in the NICU.
If you or someone you know could benefit from such assistance, please fill out this application:
Miracle Babies Family Assistance Application [PDF]
Northside Hospital in Atlanta
Miracle Babies at Northside Hospital provides support in time of crisis to families with babies in the NICU who live in the Atlanta community. For questions about our Atlanta partnership please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (404) 845-5146.