The founding purpose of Miracle Babies is to help qualified families meet their basic expenses while they are caring for an infant in the neonatal intensive care unit (NICU). In this program, hospital social workers evaluate families’ need by considering several factors, including income-to-debt ratio, gestational age of child at time of birth, length of stay in the NICU and the severity and nature of birth abnormalities.
2013 UPDATED GUIDELINES
Miracle Babies will be providing assistance to families who have a baby hospitalized in San Diego or Imperial Counties. Below are our qualification guidelines for referral to Miracle Babies:
- The Miracle Babies Family Assistance Program is specific to families who have a baby in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit. Families with a child in other units of a hospital (such at the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit) do not qualify for assistance.
- The baby must be in the NICU a minimum of 2 weeks prior to being referred to Miracle Babies. Referrals will not be accepted prior to two weeks of hospitalization.
- The family must be experiencing extreme financial stress related to the baby’s NICU stay (not due to previous debts). For example, due to costs of transportation to and from hospital, childcare for other children while visiting NICU, temporary relocation to be closer to hospital, etc.
- The family must be involved in baby’s care, making an effort to visit baby in the NICU.
- The baby must remain in custody of the parents. Referrals will not be accepted if Child Protective Services is involved.
- A family can be referred to Miracle Babies and receive financial assistance ONE time only.
**** Exceptions to the above will be made on a case by case basis ****
Miracle Babies is committed to continuing to provide financial assistance for families with a child in the NICU.
Qualified applicants typically receive their grant within three weeks from application. Miracle Babies assists the families of NICU patients with many necessary items, including:
- Medical Equipment
- Prescription Medicines and Formula
- Baby Supplies
- Funeral/Mortuary Assistance
- Sibling Childcare
- Living Expenses
These grants help address the immediate and pressing needs of parents during one of the most difficult and uncertain times in their lives. Indeed, these simple supports make an enormous difference to families in crisis.
If you or someone you know could benefit from such assistance, please APPLY HERE.